Monday 14 September 2009

I really wonder what they mean sometimes...

i can't help but smile continually as i write this one. my life is a wonderous journey of irony, blending often into sublime and stark realisations. of course, my 'realisations' are subjective, they may not reflect the truth. then again, truth is a layered concept. there's my truth, there's your truth. i guess very often my realisations are simply what i, or a silly part of me, wishes to be true (even today, it seems!!).

years ago, a woman who i deeply loved then once asked me jokingly if i would give up being a non-vegetarian if she married me. the lovesick fool that i was, and so thoroughly jolted was i at the thought of such a dreamy outcome as of our 'shared future' (well, besides not eating meat, of course), i stupidly blurted out that i would gladly do so. the prospect of our impending marriage realistically faded away in the laughter of my peers at my awkward admission.

years later, yesterday in fact, a woman i deeply loved once, asked me if i'm ready to get married. it was not a proposition, (at least not exactly directly so ;) but a simple question. my answer was candid and honest (and a reflection of my self-confidence, or egotism, whichever way you wanna see it); i don't want to right now, but if i did, i'd make a damn great husband, and, when the time came, a damn good father as well. what should have struck me at the time was the suddenness of the question, which came without any preamble. it was out of the blue, although marriage is something this woman had frequently discussed with me earlier, without me being a factor therein. immediately after i answered, a friend asked that woman as to whether she wanted to get married. the woman replied emphatically that she was willing to tie the know that very instant.

the irony of the moment struck me immediately then, as it strikes me now, and the smile unrelentingly creeps onto my face when i think of it, as i will probably do at various points in the future. the fact remains that there were 4 of us, but she asked only me. she asked only me.

what can we ever make of the intentions and meaning of the words of the fair distaff, so often buried in such deep subterfuge? perhaps i should be grateful that the possibility of what could have been meant by her question (and her answer) does not sting as badly today as it once did. or does it?

you know why i hate women? cuz do what i will, and try as i do, i don't think i can ever really fully stop loving them.

6 comments:

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

Makes the two of us man!
You know what, every time I look back, I realise there were so many moments with those darned women I loved so much, where there were so many subtle hints (or make that not-so-subtle hints)...friggin madness how I managed to look past them then...
I hate that I love them...but I guess you'd summed us up better this way, "It's not her, her or her, we're in love with love, not her her or her!"

thusspakerono said...

love is too overrated

Material Girl said...

Interesting read.

Da said...

@Newbie Mommy - B!!! :) good to hear from you. you've been missing in action (so to speak) for a good long while. thanks for the comment. i am hoping that my female readers (amounting to probably 1 plus you) would give me some insight into what in God's name do you gals mean sometimes when you say things like what the girl in the above post said. i'm past the point of hyperanalysing. if you gals are trying to give us guys hints, either you're doing a bad job at giving them, or we're doing a bad job at getting them, or more likely both. either way, i see no purpose served :)
i have another way of looking at it, and one can blame it on my suspicious nature. i think a lotta women, if not most (all) of them, do this kinda stuff every now and then for kicks. don't get me wrong, i don't begrudge you gals for it, in fact i s'pose it adds to your charm. but many a times, you're just throwing the bait just to make sure that we still wanna bite, without you actually wanting to reel us in. i guess guys do this too, tho perhaps most guys won't have a clue as to how. ah, the games people play... :)

Priyanca Vaishnav said...

actually makes the three of us, Mulling...

except- i love men, not women :P

finally! someone who can write quality thrash in great language.

wonderful time-killing read. :)

Da said...

@prianca - hehe... thanx for the comment. ironically, although you like my language, i can't conversely articulate an exact definition of 'quality thrash', although i think i get what you mean (i'm also very groggy right now, and my brain's not processing much). if i'm right about what you mean, i think you might like the following 2 posts:

http://daunplugged.blogspot.com/2008/07/you-flip-ill-call.html

and

http://daunplugged.blogspot.com/2007/07/for-those-who-may-have-been-following.html

feel free to read other posts in that blog as well... and do keep dropping by here as well...